Frequently Asked Questions

Q.: Is there a web site where I can find out what dates an arbitrator has available or what arbitrators are available on a particular date?
A.: Yes. Go to

Q.: Are Ontario labour arbitrators' decisions freely available on the internet?
A.: The Canadian Legal Information Institute (CanLII) web site provides free access to awards filed with it by Ontario labour arbitrators:

Q.: I have a legal question involving a labour relations matter. Can you help?
A.: Unfortunately, no. OLMAA is an organization of neutral adjudicators. Neither our members nor the organization can give advice or opinions on matters that may come before arbitration hearings. You may wish to contact your local law society or bar association for a referral to a lawyer who practices in the labour relations area.

Q.: Where can I find a copy of the Ontario Labour Relations Act, or other employment related legislation?
A.: The Ontario Ministry of the Attorney-General currently makes the text of the Labour Relations Act, 1995, and other Ontario statutes and regulations available on the web here. The federal Department of Justice makes the text of the Canada Labour Code and other federal statutes and regulations available here.

Q.: How do I become a member of the Association?
A.: The only qualification for membership is that one actually be involved, at the present time, as a labour arbitrator in Ontario - that is, a neutral single arbitrator or chair of boards of arbitration. Membership is not open to aspiring arbitrators, nor to those who serve as nominee of a party on boards of arbitration. Someone whose name is not on the Ontario Ministry of Labour list of approved arbitrators would have to provide other evidence of current activity as a neutral arbitrator in order to be offered membership. Proof of 5 consensual appointments as a labour arbitrator from different parties in Ontario in the past year, current appointment to the Ontario Labour Relations board, the Ontario Crown Employees Grievance Settlement Board or the Public Service Labour Relations Board and based in Ontario, or successful completion of the Ontario Ministry of Labour's Arbitrator Development Program will ordinarily be accepted as evidence of current activity as a neutral arbitrator.

Q.: Where would your association recommend taking courses in order to obtain an arbitration/mediation designation?
A.: Our organization does not provide recommendations on this subject. A labour-management arbitration training is run by the Ontario Ministry of Labour in its Arbitrator Development Program from time to time, and many of our members have taken that program. Mediation training is offered by a large number of private and institutional trainers, and many of our members have taken training from one or more of these.

Q.: I am a member of the association. How do I update my contact information on the List of Members page of this site?
A.: Log in and enter the changes in the Members area.